Entoto Natural Park's southern slope
The indigenous Podocarpus falcatus (P. gracilior)
Vernacular names: (Am: Zigba) (Or: Birbirsa)
Practical Hiking Notes from the ParkThe experiences from the Park's beautiful and cold morning hours and especially from the place around the southern slopes and the high plateau are described with these hiking notes. These experiences from this vast and unique nature thus form the basis for future environmental work and the opportunity to provide materials to help visitors with pleasant weekend trips.
Taxi or Hike from the CapitalThe means of transport to reach the Park's large work area at dawn was usually either by regular taxi or hike from Addis Ababa's centre to the end station at the community of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1). Although these excursions often continued to the high plateau and further to nearby highlands of Oromia, well located in the area of Entoto Natural Park (Nursery). The actual mountain hiking started at the sanctuary of Entoto Kidane Mehret (32) and continued within the wild and mountainous part of the Park.
The Elevated Protectorate and Sanctuary of Beauty and Serenity.
Mountain Hiking Preparations
Despite this somewhat harsh highland air, the hiking is entirely captivating and comfortable but requires regular rest. Of course, also the very essential to drink regularly from the brought-with and rugged water bottle. If someone forgot to buy for the picnic, this could be purchased at the store next to the sanctuary (32) community (1).
Towards the Fresh Well-Fragrance of Highland
Entoto's threshold rises majestically over the valley [A] where the mountain's southern slope and further mighty hillside invites to the first steps of mysterious acquaintance towards this profoundly venerated and historical highland. In majestic veneration of reverence, this primaeval precipice of mysterious secret guise from the past appears to visitors as it towers above a relatively high altitude. Caution is, therefore, an essential foundation for preparation because the mountain's rise is quite demanding for visitors with otherwise healthy activities from lowland experience.
The introduction to Entoto's southern slope
|Description of Entoto Kidane Mehret (32) |
Protectorate and Sanctuary
Here underneath the sanctuary (32) within its concealed valley [A,] of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) rises the first steps of the mountain's hillside towards Entoto's high plateau. The multiple choices of paths continue upwards from this valley [A] towards native mountain nature with secret places of pure serenity and often with views of breathtakingly beautiful sights.
A Valley for Relaxation and Family Picnics.
Captivating sublime reveals highland scenes, often with the drama of canyon nature and aesthetically unforgettable dream paths. Well fragrant and aesthetically alluring are these paths from Entoto Kidane Mehret's valley [A], furthermore also the location of the sculptural river-dell and handcrafted bridge just beneath this sanctuary (32). Thus delivers the first gentle invitation to the mountain's raised hillside.
- This area's ancient legends and the reverence for its description thus called for the responsibility to reproduce a comprehensive, reliable and inspiring creative image of the Park's character.
- These vast experiences of a captivating nature, landscape and the area's golden majesty, although often mysteriously veiled guise, formed the basis of the alluring and irresistible evoked motivation that made every severe step with the Park's work an inspiring but often very demanding task.
- Through the mountain's unique and legendary past, together with the dramatically beautiful and gracious nature, a physical and visual stimulus was given that inspired and created the pure and deep joy for other ever-extensive mountain walks.
|[CAUTION] - Precautionary Commitments|
- These mountain walks were often made from the Addis Ababa city centre early in the morning and well before any dawn light but also usually about 6 - 6:30 am with the regular taxi to the station of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1).
- Since these very early mornings were near frigid cold and, besides, the highland air somewhat demanding, this weather situation meant that the choice of clothing was characterized by what is otherwise usually used in northern latitudes or alpine areas.
- Also, solid backpacks were always used. In addition, water bottles were large enough to store the warm clothes when daytime temperatures usually rose to about 20 ° Celsius and made the winter clothes way too warm.
- With these very early mornings of long and chilly hiking, nature and wildlife experiences were offered, which otherwise would not have been possible if a later hour had been chosen. Furthermore, the choice of early mornings allowed a return to the Capital around lunchtime when the hike began.
- This return to the Capital was made by taxi or bus from either the station at Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) with its picturesque town and beautiful sanctuary or by taxi from Entoto Maryam (43), located on the high plateau.
- At lunchtime, this return journey constituted well-being and magnetic stimulation for the continued days with mountain experiences. The choice of more extended hiking would cause very demanding and purely exhausting effects in this often a rather steep highland and the harshly high altitude condition.
Entoto Kidane Mehret's Sanctuary and Secluded TownEntoto Kidane Mehret (1) is the quaint town in its secluded mountain ledge but in pleasant contact above the Capital. Although the Capital and the Park are near each other and even much integrated, the Park is still disguised by the topography. Thus, the concealed mountain village and sanctuary (32) of Entoto Kidane Mehret initiate contact with the grandeur of the ancient history and highland. Furthermore, this sanctuary of Entoto Kidane Mehret constitutes the first introduction to the nature of the mountainside. Even the high plateau of the Park is intriguingly near but yet in an untouched towering magnificence. The valley [A] and its seductive polished rock-gully allure is just beneath the sanctuary and is thus appropriate to consider an integrated part of each other's nature.
Clear and Pleasant Hiking Trails
|Detailed Map and Route Descriptions|
[A] Entoto Kidane Mehret's valley with its choices of paths.
Here are the experience of the ravine and the river in its fascinating formations in full contact. Within this open valley [A] is the location of pathways and bridge crossing. This enticingly cosy valley and its inspiring gully attract for waiting in pleasure, to not risk losing its beauty but in spiritually sense to remain in harmony and fully engulf its full beauty of sculptural shape and its feeling of just waiting for premonition adventures.
This sculptural and inviting valley [A] constitutes the borders that form the double directed visual field, including the mountain itself and the concealed plateau ledge of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1). The settlement of Entoto Kidane Mehret is very gently rising above valley [A] but well above its bridge and captivating glen formation. The landscape within the valley [A] reveals Entoto Kidane Mehret's height in the west. Thus, after arriving from the picnic and play at (19) and the valley [A], the scene delivers a welcoming and near east-facing silhouette of Entoto Kidane Mehret's concealed plateau-ledge.
Thus, close to this ancient mountain, the cosy, secluded plateau of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) and (32) represents the base for many adventures. Majestically but quaintly elevated is this settlement (1) with its community and sanctuary, Entoto Kidane Mehret (32). Furthermore, within this valley's [A] pleasant undulated embrace of the mountain's base is the location of the Italian water reservoir (19) concealed within the underground. This place is the most charming location for family activities, and this is because of the pleasure of direct visual contact with mountain nature. This place is a real delight in pleasant sunny day hours for any young family, with its beautifully undulated promenade along the sculptural glen. After a few minutes, arrive at this concealed water source (19) for family picnics and activities.
The Rising Shoulder of Entoto's Massif
|Viewpoint No.16 with Indigenous Juniper Trees|
Here the trails follow a clear direction up to Entoto's high plateau and, furthermore, including all of these exciting and surprisingly attractive paths along the eastern slope of the canyon's riverbank; they are straightforward to follow in the landscape.
A significant number of routes towards the viewpoint.
The visible clarity in the appearance and selection of trails is apparent here, thanks to the attractive overview of the panoramic and sculptural character of the landscape together with this very family-friendly canyon.