Entoto Natural Park's southern slope
The indigenous Podocarpus falcatus (P. gracilior)
Vernacular names: (Am: Zigba) (Or: Birbirsa)
Practical Hiking Notes from the ParkWith these hiking notes, the experiences from the Park's beautiful and cold morning hours and especially from the place around the southern slopes and the high plateau are described. These experiences from this vast and unique nature thus form the basis for the future environmental work and the opportunity to provide materials to help visitors with pleasant weekend trips.
Taxi or Hike from the CapitalThe means of transport to reach the Park's large work area at dawn was usually either by regular taxi or hike from Addis Ababa's centre, to the end station at the community of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1). The actual mountain hiking started at the sanctuary of Entoto Kidane Mehret (32) and continued within the wild and mountainous part of the Park. Although these excursions often continued to the high plateau and further to nearby highlands of Oromia, well located in the area of Entoto Natural Park (Nursery).
Towards the Fresh Well-Fragrance of Highland
Despite this somewhat harsh highland air, the hiking is entirely captivating and comfortable but require regular rest and of course also the very essential to drink regularly and this from the brought-with and rugged water bottle. In the case where someone forgot to buy for the picnic, this can be purchased at the store right next to the sanctuary (32) community (1).
The introduction to Entoto's southern slope
|Description of Entoto Kidane Mehret (32) |
Protectorate and Sanctuary
Here underneath the sanctuary (32) within its concealed valley [A] of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) rises the first steps of the mountain's hillside towards Entoto's high plateau. The multiple choices of paths continue upwards from this valley [A] towards native mountain nature with secret places of pure serenity and often with views of breathtakingly beautiful sights.
A Valley for Relaxation and Family Picnics.
Well fragrant and aesthetically alluring are these paths from Entoto Kidane Mehret's valley [A], furthermore also the location of the sculptural gully and handcrafted bridge just beneath this sanctuary (32). Thus delivers the first gentle invitation to the mountain's raised hillside. Captivating sublime reveals here highland's scenes, often with the drama of canyon nature and aesthetically unforgettable dream paths.
- This area's ancient legends and, moreover, the reverence for its description, thus called for the responsibility to reproduce a comprehensive, reliable and inspiring creative image of the Park's character.
- With these vast experiences of a captivating nature, landscape and the area's golden majesty although often mysteriously veiled guise formed the basis of the alluring and irresistible evoked motivation that made every severe step with the Park's work an inspiring but often very demanding task.
- Through the mountain's unique and legendary past together with the dramatically beautiful and gracious nature, a physical as well as the visual stimulus was given that inspired and also, created the pure and deep joy for other ever-extensive mountain walks.
- These mountain walks were often made from the Addis Ababa city centre early in the morning and well before any dawn light but also usually about 6 - 6:30 am with the regular taxi to the station of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1).
- Since these very early mornings were near frigid cold and besides, the highland air somewhat demanding, this weather situation meant that the choice of clothing was characterized by what is otherwise usually used in northern latitudes or alpine areas.
- Also, solid backpacks were always used, which in addition to water bottles were large enough to store the warm clothes when daytime temperatures usually rose to about 20 ° Celsius and made the winter clothes way too warm.
- With these very early mornings of long and chilly hiking, nature and wildlife experiences were offered which otherwise would not have been possible if a later hour had been chosen. Furthermore, the choice of early mornings allowed a return to the Capital around lunchtime on the day that the hike began.
- This return to the Capital was made by taxi or bus from either the station at Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) with its picturesque town and beautiful sanctuary or by taxi from Entoto Maryam (43), located on the high plateau.
- This return journey at lunchtime constituted the basis for well-being and magnetic stimulation for the continued days with mountain experiences. The choice of more extended hiking would cause very demanding and purely exhausting effects in this often a rather steep highland and the harshly high altitude condition.
Entoto Kidane Mehret's Sanctuary and Secluded TownThis is the location of the quaint town Entoto Kidane Mehret (1) in its secluded mountain ledge but yet in pleasant contact above the Capital. Although the Capital and the Park are near to each other and even in much integrated, the Park is still much in disguise by the topography. Thus, the concealed mountain village and sanctuary (32) of Entoto Kidane Mehret initiate to the contact with the grandeur of the ancient history and highland. Furthermore, this sanctuary of Entoto Kidane Mehret constitutes the first introduction to the nature of the mountainside. Even the high plateau of the Park is intriguingly near but yet in an untouched towering magnificence. The valley [A] and its seductive polished rock-gully allure here just beneath the sanctuary and thus appropriate to consider an integrated part of each other's nature.
Clear and Pleasant Hiking Trails
|Detailed Map and Route Descriptions|
[A] Entoto Kidane Mehret's valley with its choices of paths.
Here are the experience of the ravine and the river in its fascinating formations in full contact. Within this open valley [A] is the location of pathways and bridge crossing. This enticingly cosy valley and its inspiring gully attract for waiting in pleasure, to not risk losing its beauty but in spiritually sense to remain in harmony and fully engulf its full beauty of sculptural shape and its feeling of just waiting for premonition adventures.
This sculptural and inviting valley [A] constitutes the borders that form the double directed visual field, including both the mountain itself but also the concealed plateau ledge of Entoto Kidane Mehret (1). The settlement of Entoto Kidane Mehret is very gently rising above valley [A] but well above its bridge and captivating glen formation. Viewed from within the valley [A] the landscape reveal Entoto Kidane Mehret on its hight in the west. Thus, after arriving from the picnic and play at (19) and the valley [A] the scene delivers a welcoming and near east-facing silhouette of Entoto Kidane Mehret's concealed plateau-ledge.
Thus, in close presence to this ancient mountain, the cosily secluded plateau of Entoto Kidane Mehret represents the base for many adventures. Majestically but quaintly elevated is this settlement (1) with its community and sanctuary Entoto Kidane Mehret (32). Furthermore, within this valley's pleasant undulated embrace of the mountain's base is the location of the Italian water reservoir (19) concealed within the underground. This place is the most charming location for the family activities and this because of the pleasure of direct visual contact with the mountain nature. This place is a real delight in pleasant and sunny day hours for any young family, with its beautifully undulated promenade, along the sculptural glen and after few minutes arrive at this concealed water source (19) for family picnics and activities.
Entoto's threshold rises majestically over the valley [A] where the mountain's southern slope and further mighty hillside invites to the first steps of mysterious acquaintance towards this profoundly venerated and historical highland. In majestic veneration of reverence, this primaeval precipice of mysterious secret guise from the past appears to any visitors as it towers above to relatively high altitude. Caution is, therefore, an essential foundation for preparation because the mountain's rise is quite demanding for visitors with otherwise healthy activities from lowland experience.
The Rising Shoulder of Entoto's Massif
|Viewpoint No.16 with Indigenous Juniper Trees|
Here the trails follow a clear direction up to Entoto's high plateau and furthermore including all of these exciting and surprisingly attractive paths along the eastern slope of the canyon's riverbank; they are straightforward to follow in the landscape.
A significant number of routes towards the viewpoint.